Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Six Months

Do you know what today is…? It’s my Spainniversary!!!

Yep, that's right, I've been in Spain for six months now. I can’t believe that six months ago I was just setting foot on Spanish soil for the first time ever. I had no idea what would become of my journey here and I was very nervous. Six months later, I’ve made wonderful friends, I teach and live in a great place, I have cool roommates and I’ve learned so much since I’ve been here.

I originally planned to do something to celebrate my small milestone but it is the middle of a workweek and I was very busy today. Besides, I live in Jávea.  What would I do anyway? So in the end, I didn’t do anything; I didn’t even have a glass of tinto tonight.
My day at school was regular. I had both of the second grade classes, both of the 4th grade classes, and 5th grade. It wasn’t as interesting as a day would have been with the 4-6 year olds.
After school I had to run a couple of errands around town and then I went to my valenciano class.
Today in valenciano we focused on a lot of verb conjugation and grammar, and this was definitely not my favorite class. We not only learned how to conjugate verbs in the imperfect tense, but we also learned the two different ways to conjugate verbs in the past tense; yes there are two ways! We then did some past vs. imperfect tense exercises and, as if that wasn’t enough, we learned some new prepositions and went over the rules of when to use them. We did all of this in the hour and fifteen minutes that we were in class. I don’t understand why she couldn’t have saved some of the work for the class tomorrow, or Monday. It was information overload!
When I got home from class I had about 20 minutes to get ready for aerobics. I’ve convinced myself that I need to start being more serious about going to aerobics class, especially since I’m trying to lose weight now, and because I pay for it. It’s so easy to use the cold weather or a long day at school as an excuse not to go. And my roommate doesn’t help the situation either.  Sometimes, about 30 minutes before our class, we’ll just look at each other and simultaneously shake our heads (which means: no I’m not going). It’s kind of ridiculous!
I really feel like my aerobics class is more of a dance class. You really have to pay attention and learn the steps because the instructor will teach us the moves and then sit back and watch (and laugh probably). I’m usually pretty good, which came as a surprise to me at first, but now I think that most of her steps are pretty predictable so it’s hard to be totally lost.
On Mondays we do regular aerobics and on Wednesdays we always do step aerobics. Although I prefer step aerobics, it can actually be a little dangerous sometimes because we do a lot of jumping and turning on the step stool. I actually saw the instructor trip a couple of times today, and my roommate even fell and hurt her ankle. Ouch! At the end of aerobics, everyone is usually sweating profusely, so that's a good thing. When I finally returned home, I showered, ate dinner and watched TV with my roommates.
The days that I spend here are beginning to get shorter and shorter. The weeks go by so quickly. In a couple of months I will be back in the great United States of America. On one hand, I'm extremely happy and I'm ready to see my family and friends and be in my country, but on the other hand, I’m really not ready to leave Spain. I feel like there is still so much for me to learn here, so many people that I should meet, so many places that I should visit and so many things that I want to do. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment