Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Taste of the South... In Spain


My Definition of a Great Dinner

Preparing my presentation this week about American food really made me want some southern food, so I decided that today was the perfect day to make a southern meal (especially since I will be starting my diet soon). I decided to make some macaroni and cheese, cabbage, fried chicken tenders, and mashed potatoes and gravy. Normally, I wouldn’t cook this many carbohydrates, but I really needed to do something with the potatoes that I had before they went bad.
Surprisingly, today was my first time making fried chicken. Being from the south, I definitely love fried chicken (although I prefer it to be boneless) but frying foods really isn’t my specialty. In fact, today was the first time that I’d fried anything since I’ve been in Spain.
Cooking these dishes really made me think of my family. I really appreciate the fact that I come from a family of great cooks. Everyone in my family really loves to cook and they are all very talented in the kitchen. From my mom, I learned how to cook more traditional things, whereas I get most of my creative cooking from my dad and older sister. I’m still trying to get to their level.
Anyway, it took about two hours for me to cook everything. The only reason why it took that long was because we have a limited number of pots and pans in our piso. When the food was done, I took out the Tabasco sauce and enjoyed it. The only thing that was missing from my southern meal was sweet tea, which I could have easily made, but I ended up making fresh lemonade instead, which was just as great.
I realize that the next time I make a meal like this I should definitely invite some people over. I felt like a real loser eating this meal all by myself. I would have loved to share it with my roommates, but of course they weren’t here. One day soon I’ll cook and have guests. In the meantime, I definitely prepared enough food for at least 4 people, so it looks like I won’t have to worry about cooking tomorrow or Monday.
Buen Provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment