Saturday, April 14, 2012

Rain, Rain… WHERE ARE YOU?

I never thought that there would come a time when I would passionately write about my frustration with the lack of rain, but here it is…

Living in Jávea, a town in the Costa Blanca, I knew that I probably wouldn’t be exposed to rain that often. The Costa Blanca of Spain is an area known for its white, sandy beaches, clear blue water, and wonderful sunny weather.
One of the few rainy days that we've had in Jávea

 I can appreciate a beautiful sunny day. Almost every time that I have been outside lately the weather has been beautiful, especially since winter is over. I can walk to the beach, sit outside and read or even go out for a walk or jog. And I absolutely love the fact that it is so common to sit outside of Spanish cafes and restaurants and enjoy the day while you are sipping your café con leche and chatting with friends.

However, too much of anything is never good. Although sunny days are great and they give people a good energy, they are so overrated sometimes.  I think that rain can be very beneficial. In my opinion, a good rainfall every now and then is great for the world.  Besides the fact that our environment needs rain to survive, people also need it to slow them down. When it’s sunny outside people are always concerned with go,go,go, But whenever it rains, especially in Jávea, people are more likely to live life more slowly and just relax more.  

I have always loved rain. I love the sound of raindrops falling on the roof as I am sleeping at night, I love the aroma in the air after it has rained for a very long time, and I love to sit in my living room in Jávea and watch the rain fall throughout the town from my balcony window.  But most importantly, I love the fact that I have an excuse to be a little lazy and relax. My favorite thing to do on a rainy day, when I am not working, is to lie in my bed and watch movies. Lately I’ve been so busy and I’ve been thinking about so much that I’ve literally been giving myself headaches. I think having a couple of rainy days here would help slow me down.

I can understand if other people are not as thrilled at the idea of rain in Jávea as much as I am because this town doesn’t handle rain very well. Although it does not rain here often, when it does rain and Jávea, it rains a lot. This town has a very bad problem with leakage and flooding. In fact, 2 days, of maybe 6 days that it has rained since I’ve been here, the schools were cancelled because of the flooding.  
Can you see the rainbow?


For the past week or so, the meteorologists in Spain have been threatening rain and thunderstorms in Jávea and in neighboring towns. It was supposed to thunderstorm last Wednesday and Thursday and I was so excited. And then it never happened. Earlier this week, it was also supposed to rain and although it was cloudy, it didn’t. Yesterday, it was very cloudy when I woke up and I thought that the day would finally come. Hours went by without any rain. And then finally, in the early evening, it started to sprinkle. I was so excited! I went to take a 10 minute shower and when I walked back into the living room the sun was out, the rain had stopped and there was a rainbow in the sky. As beautiful as the rainbow was, I was livid. 10 minutes is all I get?

Although it does not rain very often in the Costa Blanca, one of the rainiest regions in Spain is Galicia. I think I will have to make a trip up to the north very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment