Thursday, January 12, 2012

Back to Life, Back to Reality (Well, Not Really)

This week was the first week back to school after Christmas break. Monday was filled with a lot of Spanish kisses and questions about how everyone’s vacation was. When everyone asked me about my trip to America, I responded the same way each time, “No quería volver” (I didn’t want to come back), for which they all responded, “Nosotros tampoco” (Us neither).
 When I walked into my infantil (4 year old) class on Tuesday, I couldn’t help but to smile, the kids were so happy when they saw my face and realized that they were having English class. They ran up to me and the other teacher and hugged us very tightly. I didn’t realize how much I missed them until I saw them.  That definitely made my day.  Besides that, the rest of the week was the same as usual. I followed my normal routine.
This week, I’ve realized that my Valencian has come a long way. I didn’t really realize it until I was speaking Spanish to some people and I kept accidently saying Valencian words. It’s amazing to think about the amount of Valencian that I have already learned. There are some words that I know in Valencian that I don’t even know in Castilian (normal Spanish). When I went to class on Monday, the teacher asked each of us what we did over the break and we each responded in Valencian.  This week, my roommate told a story to us, in Valencian, and I understood everything. And to this day, whenever I’m telling time, counting and talking about things in my apartment, I can’t help but to say them in Valencian.  This is worse than Spanglish.

No comments:

Post a Comment