Friday, January 27, 2012

Creative Cooking Fridays Presents: Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo

Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
This week was pretty long and I’m so glad that it’s finally over. Since I wasn’t traveling this weekend (I like to hibernate when it’s cold outside), I decided to follow my usual “Friday night in Boringtown” routine by cooking something special. For a couple weeks now I’ve been craving some Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo but I thought that it would be difficult to make because I haven’t seen any Alfredo sauce anywhere. Then I thought to myself “why don’t I just make my own Alfredo sauce?” Duh!!! And so I browsed a couple of online recipes to see what were some of the key ingredients in making Alfredo sauce and headed to the grocery store this morning to get some items.
Once 9 o’clock hit, I put on my pajamas, played one of my Sex and the City DVDs, poured myself a glass of wine, and started cooking. I didn’t follow any Alfredo recipe exactly, because I wanted mine to be original and there were also some things that I just knew I wanted to put in my Alfredo sauce that weren’t in any others. For the sauce I used butter, cream, parmesan cheese, parsley and garlic. I also added some lemon juice to it because I love the way that it tastes with white sauces. The sauce turned out to be very tasty, but also kind of thick, this could be because I used a thicker cream that I bought from the British supermarket. I combined the sauce with the chicken and cooked the noodles al dente. I couldn’t find fettuccine noodles, but I did find something similar.  

Making the Sauce

After about an hour of prepping and cooking, the meal was finally ready. I sprinkled some extra lemon juice on top of my pasta, I drizzled a little bit of olive oil on top of some toasted bread,  I poured myself a glass of wine (I traded my usual glass of red wine for a glass of white wine) and sat down to enjoy my meal.
At first I was a little hesitant to try the pasta (as I am with anything that I make for the first time) but once I tasted it I fell in love.  The sauce was very rich and flavorful and the chicken complimented the sauce very well. The lemon made everything taste so fresh and zesty. And the white wine was also a wonderful compliment to it all.


In a way I can definitely say that my cooking has gotten better since I’ve been to Spain, not only because there are so many fresh and varied ingredients to cook with, but also because I don’t have the option to select the easy, less time-consuming way of cooking things. So I am always faced with the task of cooking everything from scratch, which I love. I definitely don’t think that I’ll ever go back to using store-bought sauces and other pre-prepared mixes.
I wonder what I’ll create next.

No comments:

Post a Comment