Sunday, January 29, 2012

Why I Probably Just Gained 5 Pounds...

Normally, I don’t get too culinary on the weekends, but since I had no plans and I wanted to relieve some stress, I did a lot of creative cooking. I love that I can count on cooking and baking as a way to relieve my stress or to just put me in a good mood. Lately I’ve been in a kind of funk: I’ve been so exhausted, cold, mentally absent from things and not to mention still sick! So I’m glad that I spent this weekend doing something that I really enjoy.
Before Putting it into the Oven

Today I decided to make Apple Crisp. I haven’t necessarily been craving it, but I thought that it sounded like a delicious thing to make.  I think that I like Apple Crisp better than Apple Pie because it doesn’t have a crust to it but it’s still crispy. Surprisingly though, although I have made an apple pie once, I’ve never made apple crisp.

Apples!


Fortunately, I already had most of the ingredients that I needed to make the dessert. The only thing that I had to buy from the store was a bag of apples (which I never buy because I have an allergic reaction to raw apples). I decided to make the Apple Crisp early this afternoon because I was worried that if I waited until the evening, with the way I’ve been lately, I was going to be way too tired.  So I started preparing the dish right after I ate breakfast.
The Apple Crisp was very easy and quick to prepare. The preparation time was about 20 minutes, with a 35-40 minute cooking time. While it was in the oven, I started to clean up the kitchen a bit. We have two cabinets in our kitchen that are rarely used and are really nasty. They haven’t been cleaned since I’ve been living in this piso. So I decided to clean them today and now they look perfect. When my roommates see them they aren’t going to believe it. Unfortunately, once I start cleaning one thing I see something else that needs to be cleaned (I get it from my mom), so I spent about 2 hours cleaning up the kitchen.

Yummy!

When the Apple Crisp was done it looked tasty, but I waited a little while to eat it. I ended up eating it for lunch (very healthy right?) along with some vanilla ice cream. It was delicious. It could have just been my imagination or the fact that I hadn’t had apple crisp in a very long time (probably years) but I was so happy with the results.  The apples were just the right amount of tender (not too soft and mushy) and the topping was wonderful and crispy.  I  may have some more for dessert!
I spent the rest of the day cleaning up, washing my hair, and preparing for the week. Surprisingly, I still had enough energy to cook dinner. I made some grilled chicken, green beans and skillet-fried diced potatoes.
So with the Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo that I made on Friday night (and the leftovers that I ate on Saturday), the Apple Crisp and vanilla ice cream that I had today, and the delicious diced potatoes that I had for dinner, I’m pretty sure that I gained at least 5 pounds this weekend. I think that I can even see it. I guess I’ll be having salads for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment