Saturday, January 14, 2012

Friday Night Ritual

Since living in Jávea, I have developed some kind of a “Friday night in Boringtown” ritual. This is especially for wintertime here, when there is literally nothing to do and over half of the population is gone. My roommates are never here on the weekends. They usually leave the town right after work on Friday and don’t come back until early Monday morning. I guess they, as well as all of the teachers that I work with, feel that they have to get the heck out of this town and go back to where their friends and family are. But I actually live here… even on the weekends.

Jerk Chicken, Asparagus and Mashed Potatoes

Typical Weekday Meal


So when I’m not travelling on the weekends I love to take advantage of the time that I have alone and have fun in the kitchen. On Friday nights I like to put on my pajamas, pour myself a glass of red wine, play a really girly movie or girly music on my computer, and spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking a delicious meal.

Chicken Fajitas

In reality, I don’t wait until Fridays to cook. I cook myself breakfast, lunch and dinner almost every day. But during the week my meals are usually boring and quick. I eat lots of salads, chicken, rice, turkey burgers, and other simple things; but Friday is usually my day to experiment with different foods and have fun while cooking.
Every Thursday in Jávea, we have a big outdoor market, full of vendors selling lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. So I try to go to the market during my lunch break on Thursdays to buy lots of fresh vegetables to cook with. Last weekend I made grilled jerk chicken with pan-seared asparagus and mashed potatoes. It was my first time making both asparagus and real mashed potatoes. This Friday I made grilled pork chops with caramelized onions, steamed broccoli, and more mashed potatoes. My favorite Friday night meal is Chicken fajitas and I also love to make pasta.  I wonder what I will make next week…

No comments:

Post a Comment